Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Time to think... but not TOO hard.

Imagine that you could create your own fellowship program that focused on a particular discipline, topic, or interest. What would your fellowship program center on? Would it be an academic question or a shared love for sonnets? A certain author, or cultural studies?

2 comments:

FB09 said...

I don't think my answer is going to surprise anybody... I would start a fellowship that was concerned with investigating the culture of food in different societies around the world. How people think about it, what role food plays in rituals, etc. Of course,sampling different cuisines would just be another form of research --I suppose in that situation food would be a primary source? Haha.

Zack said...

I would have a seminar focused solely on causality. I am really into Nassim Taleb (Fooled by Randomness; The Black Swan) right now. We always seem to think we know much more than we actually do, and we always have stories for everything. The problem is we're wrong and stupid most of the time. Each time there is a growth in technology, we think we can figure out the world. We think we have the final answer for cause and effect. When a tulip boom and a housing boom can occur centuries apart and have the same end result, surely we understand the world hardly better than then.